Subject: [Leica] Vintage M observations
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 12:49:55 -0700

After printing some photos a few weeks back, I decided to dust off my
50/1.4 M. I haven't used it much since I purchased a new 35/1.4 ASPH M. I
decided to use my M3, which had been locked away for some time. There's
nothing like the M3 framelines and a 50mm lens. I thought to myself, why
did I need an M6? After a week or so of very average use (a half dozen
rolls shot) I noticed that my formerly mint M3 was shedding large pieces of
vulcanite. Plus one of the strap lugs had come loose (and I didn't even
have a strap attached).  As much as they appeal to me in a "classic" sense,
I'm  apprehensive about using older M bodies. I'm particularly concerned
about the M3, since it has a unique viewfinder. If it breaks, is it even
repairable. Missing vulcanite is not that big a deal, but it reminded me of
why I like new bodies. Everytime I hear about how well constructed the
older bodies are, I remind myself that I was well constructed two decades
ago. But alas, time can take a toll. In that respect, I think the newer M
bodies are a pretty good value, considering.

Dave