Subject: [Leica] 21 f/4 R Super Angulon's performance and compare with the new 19mm Elmarit.
From: "Martin H. Krieger" <krieger@usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 10:21:23 -0700

For those who have experience with the 21 f/4 R Super Angulon, and those
with with new 2.8 19mm R--

1.  I shot some pictures recently of flat material at about 30".  I found
the corners (and the long side) went quite soft, at f/4.  This was stuff
like maps, so you could see it lose sharpness.  Is this simply a matter of
needing to stop down?  Would the new Elmarit be much better?

2.  I also shot some images with the sun coming at me, albeit at the edge.
 I got sort of 4 sided reflected images.  Perhaps my Super Angulon is old
enough not to be multicoated, if they ever were.  Is the new Elmarit much
better?

For my ordinary outdoor shooting, none of these come up and I am quite
happy with the lens.

Thanks,
Martin
krieger@usc.edu