Subject: [Leica] M Polarizer
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 14:34:34 -0400

Hi Luggers,

I happened to notice two Leica-M goodies at a local camera store last week
and bought them both on impulse--an M handgrip (fabulous!) and the circular
polarizer (the latter set me back a bit, but I figure I won't be buying my
28 till sometime after Photokina, so what the hey).  I like them both very
much.

I have a question about the polarizer, though: it doesn't come with a lens
cap, and the open (hooded) end is sloped, so no ordinary clip-on cap will
work.

I've grown accustomed to keeping the cap off my 50 summi most of the time
when shooting, but the long, sliding hood ensures that sunlight doesn't fall
through the lens and burn a hole through the shutter curtain.  The polarizer
doesn't give me the same amount of confidence, since it has a much broader
base, and the hood expands outward.  Also, since the filter cost $350, I'd
prefer to keep it covered when not in use (and certainly when stashed in my
bag).

Anyone else using the polarizer?  What do you use for a lens cap?

Thanks in advance,
Dan