Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: impurities in lens
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 18:30:31 -0700

Since this thread started back a while ago, I started to notice glass, in
its many incarnations, and it seems that ALL glass has bubbles in it to some
degree- I have seen it in window glass, bottles, glasses (drinking type) and
just about any place you look. Exceptions seem to be the float type plate
glass, and perhaps it is raise to a high enough temperature that it becomes
fluid enough that bubbles can escape.
Optical glass, however, is not made in huge batched, but in relatively small
quantities, and according to the Brittannica, is cooked for a fairly long
time to make sure it is thoroughly homogenous, and then it is cooled slowly
so as to minimize areas of stress within the glass. The bubbles pretty much
should not effect the image as they only occlude the rays passing through
that point, and being optically dense, would not scatter light to contribute
to flare. The area they occlude would be insignificant in calculating open
aperture- unless they were so many that they blocked a statistically
significant amount of light.
For all practical purposes, small bubbles, or even small specks of dust will
mot harm the image; it would take something like a smear of grease or
fingerprint oil- or someother diffuse obstruction to introduce the flare and
loss of detail.
For me, it has become less important to get every little tiny speck of dust
off the lens, as it intrudes on my looking for interesting subjuects! So-
quit looking so much into the front of your cameras looking for fly spots
and dingleberries- and spend more time looking through the viewfinder!!  :o)
Dan