Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 purchase: advice sought
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:34:41 -0700

Nathan

>>I just looked at body prices at B&H and Tamarkin, the
M6 is $2000 at B&H (official USA import) and $1700 at
Tamarkin (grey market, with 2-year Tamarkin warranty).<<

Speaking of prices, I found an old Shutterbug from '96. Commonly listed
price for an M6 was $2,595, and no rebate. Noct was $2,895, as was the
35/1.4 ASPH. But the biggest surprise came when I checked out the R7. It
was also listed at $2,595. I wonder how many were sold at that price?  Last
year I paid $1,100 for a demo R7, and I thought that was pretty steep. I
guess the good new is that the price on some things (i.e. R8, M6) appear to
be more reasonable than bodies a few years back. I also remember thinking
that the older bodies were bargains. An M2 or M4-P at $800-1,000 was
roughtly a third the price of a new M6. Now that you can by an M6 for
$1,700, I'm not so sure. I've owned 2-M2s,2-M3s,M4,M4-2,M4-P, and 3-M6s.
The M6 (.72 since I most often use a 35/1.4) is without a doubt my favorite
body to use. Once I bought bought an M6, with reliable internal metering, I
could never go back. I say reliable because my first M-6 - according the
the serial number one of the first 50 made -- had meter problems. At that
time I used my M4 far more than my M6.

Subjectively speaking, there was something about the M4 that seemed better
than all the other bodies. Could be I imagined it based on all the
folklore. (Brainwashing is bliss. Too bad I'm older and wiser -- make that
more skeptical -- now). Unfortunately, the strap on my M4 broke and it hit
hard against the edge of a wooden table. I picked it up and it appeared to
be fine. I sighed in relief until I looked through the viewfinder. I sold
it to a friend and paid to have a new rangefinder installed (M6 framelines
as I recall). My friend is still using the body. I wish I'd kept it. I'd
slap on one of those new little Cosina meters and be very content. On
second thought, I still think I'd rather use my M6.

Dave