Subject: RE: [Leica] Video vs still
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:16:56 -0400

Allow me to disagree a little - what else?

Words and pictures have a real advantage over video, and that is that they
stick around. You can open a magazine, read the article, look at the photos,
put it down, and return to it later. A video, by and large, is here today,
gone today.

I realize that there are, of course, exceptions to this generality, as there
are to all generalities. But to site an example that has been kicked around
on the LUG, think about Eddie Adams photo of the Saigon street execution.
There was at least one network crew present - CBS I believe, and they
captured the incident on film. And it was shown on T.V. But the still photo
had the lasting impact, because it lasts, because it freezes a moment in
time, rather than capturing a sequence of moments, only one of which is
dramatic.

And as to what photos can do for the written word....During one of the awful
African famines of the late 80s, Sudan? Biafra? Newsday sent a team of two
reporters and one photographer, Ozier Mohammed, who now shoots for The
Times. When it came contest time, the paper, rather than entering the print
package, and entering Ozier separately in the photo categories, very
consciously, and unusually, entered the two reporters and photographer
TOGETHER for foreign reporting - and they won a Pulitzer. The written
coverage was good. But spectacular or really unusual? Probably not. But
because the paper entered the three together, they could make up big display
prints of the stunning photos of starving kids, and set the type around
them - and they correctly bet that the images would have an enormous impact
on the judges, who were probably voting for the photos when they gave the
award....