Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 purchase: advice sought
From: Guy Bennett <guy.bennett@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:52:19 +0200

>I'm intending to purchase an M6 very soon. I'm seeking advice from you
>experienced M6 users on the following:
>
>1. I'd like to know a reputable US Leica dealer from whom I can purchase via
>mailorder. (And to my understanding there is no taxes for mail order sales
>within the US, is that right?)

for mailorder, try b&h or samy's. no taxes as long as you don't live in the
same state as the store you buy from.

>2. A friend of mine can get me an M6 TTL and 50/F2 (both black and brand
>new) for about US$2,500 after-tax in Asia. This seems to be a bit lower than
>the US prices, but I don't get the passport warranty. Is this a good idea?

unless you're absolutely strapped for cash, i'd recommend you pay the extra
bucks and go for the warranty.

>3. What's the consensus opinion on HM vs. non-HM? I tend to shoot in the
>35mm-50mm range. I like the brightness of the HM finder and the large 50mm
>framelines. But I don't like the way the 35mm framelines look.

i have the non-hm and wouldn't change it for the hm, simply because i tend
to favor shorter focal lengths. i wear glasses, and the 35 frames are
already hard to see, the 28s impossible. that said, my next body, if i ever
get one, will probably be a hm, just to have both.