Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Nachtwey was Sally Mann, digest V17 #195
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:49:36 -0400

ARTHURWG@aol.com jotted down the following:

> Nachtwey seems to hold himself superior to his
> subjects; like one critic said, it's difficult to distinguish the living from
> the dead.

I don't get that from his stuff at all.  Instead, I get the feeling that the
pictures were taken by someone who was almost numbed by shock and horror at
the existance of those kinds of events and conditions.  In some of his
pictures, there ISN'T much distinguishing the living from the dead.  Animate
corpses.

Rather than come across as someone who is flaunting their superiority, or
taking pleasure in the horrors he sees, Nachtwey (through his pictures)
strikes me as someone who has the courage to not only face these scenes
(rather than pretend that they don't exist), but the composure to take
photographs and communicate it to and audience too.

What I think is important about his pictures is that they are not at the
height of the action: They are not the usual, violence and sacrifice-
glorifying pictures of the fighting and war as a whole, but pictures of the
civilian population, collateral casualties that otherwise are never known
about.  Individuals who too are humans, only forgotten ones.  Ones that are
not even acknowledged.

(I don't understand your stuff about sin and the devil and selling your
soul.  I don't see what they have to do with contemporary photography.)

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | People don't like to be parameters
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | in an equation.