Subject: [Leica] Re: My copyright!
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 20:18:29 -0700

In the US, you, as the photographer/artist, OWN the copyright on your work.
Selling a print to someone does not in any way compromise your ownership of
that image. It is illegal, by copyright law, for someone else to sell your
photograph FOR PUBLICATION. Now if they GAVE it to the paper to use, then
your rights of recourse get a little thinner because it was used
editorially for no financial gain. Except as possible financial gain for
the newspaper due to the photograph's publication. A little thinner, but
not gone. You still own the photograph copyright and with that comes the
right to control publication of same. The web is full of US copyright law.
Go read about it. You can still "register" the copyright for that
photograph. Even though registration is not a requirement for copyright
ownership, it must be registered in order to collect the big copyright
infringement bucks. The forms are on the web.

Jim

PS... I've never had a copyright infringement problem. I belong to ASMP and
read about it all of the time. The above is, to my knowledge, correct. But
read the law on the US copyright web site. Don't take my word for it.

Replies: Reply from John Hicks <jbh@magicnet.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: My copyright!)
Reply from Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au> (Re: [Leica] Re: My copyright!)