Subject: Re: [Leica] sync at 1/500 sec
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:08:03 -0700

At 12:06 AM -0400 6/24/00, M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos wrote:

<snip>

>As an update of sorts, I was talking about my flash desires with my local
>shop (PhotoMarket in Portland, ME) and the owner, Pete,  mentioned that
>Canon and Nikon have flash units for their modern SLRs that will strobe
>fast enough to allow for a fill flash effect at upto 1/1000 with their FP
>shutters. What we have yet to ascertain is "will these flash units provide
>the same use on an all manual camera, or does the body need to send a TTL
>signal of some sort (telepathy?) to the flash in order to take advantage of
>the use."

Yes, only certain bodies work, but only on manual, not in TTL. What happens
is that a lot of little flashes go off. As a result the GN gets severely
reduced to the point that it is a useless gimmick, and not useful for the
reason that you want high flash sync, namely outdoor fill. The problem is
that the flash's output is largely wasted in making sure that the little
flashes overlap enough to avoid banding at high shutter speeds. Unless
someone comes up with a whole new concept, between the lens diaphragm type
shutters are still the solution to fill flash in sunlight at greater
distances.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com