Subject: RE : [Leica] CF or FF Lens
From: "Bernard Degaute" <bernard.degaute@village.uunet.be>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:49:04 +0200

Tom Schofield wrote in part :
<
<I wonder if the correction of the CF is for larger rooms or auditoriums,
and
<that it exacerbates the curvature issue at short distances, such as in a
<living room.

The CF is designed to give a plane picture from a slide with a particular
curvature (Kodak in carboard mounts). I think the distance of projection is
not to be considered (I never read something about this).

and  Dave Purchase  asked :
<Folks,
<Have I got this right?  I'm about to buy my first slide projector.  I'll
<use mostly Kodachrome and Kodak is about to stop using the cardboard mounts
<so, I buy the flat field Color Plan lens, yes?<dp

From my experience if the curvature of the slides is not exactly the  "good"
one the result is worst than with a standard lens. So you probably will be
disappointed with 5 or 10% of your slides

 Ken Wilcox  also added :
<Perhaps you should also consider the Super Colorplan.

I've got the opportunity to compare standard and Super Colorplan side by
side. There is *perhaps* a little advantage for the SC specially in the
shadows in which you can see very saturated and dark color instead of black.
I'm not sure it's worth the money (almost twice as the standard lens).

Just my two cents

Bernard

bernard.degaute@village.uunet.be