Subject: [Leica] OT: Grainy dev. & film look?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 22:00:09 -0700

Hi guys,

I'd like to try to get a similar "grain look ?" might better be
described as, "glow look" like the photographs we see from the late
1800's, early 1900's.  Maybe not possible with modern films and
developers.

And as you know I'm not a techie type, so I wondered if someone has any
ideas I might try.

This question stems from finding an Aperture book on a photographer,
Clarence H. White, American.  Who began his photography 1893, died 1925.
 I must say this man had such an incredible understanding for using
existing light that it's just amazing at it's use picture after picture.
 They just glow and have such a beautiful aura to them I'd like to give
it a go if possible.

What his photography triggered in me was a curiosity to see if I
couldn't emulate the "film, developer look" of his times. I'm not sure
that it's possible with the high quality films of today but maybe over
exposing and using a paper developer might do it with Tmax 3200 or
similar film. As well as a softar filter of some sort to  add to the
glow look.

As I much prefer using existing light anytime, I felt if I can find the
right film/developer combination maybe I can produce a similar look to
some of my work.

Any suggestions folks?  Be much appreciated.  Thank you.

If  you are interested in this photographer Clarence H. White,  here is
the book info:
ISBN: 0-89381-019-3  Book title: Clarence H. White. Published by
Aperture, one in it's series: "The History of Photography Series by
Aperture"  1979.

I also have a couple of old 1932 Leica lenses I'd like to try with it as
that may add to the "old style look."  Maybe that's where some of the
Leica glow comes in to play.

ted

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: Grainy dev. & film look?)
Reply from "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: Grainy dev. & film look?)