Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Stiff focus ring
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 07:57:55 -0400

I wonder if anyone else has comments to add.  Here are mine.

I recently acquired two second hand lenses.

The first, was a 90 skinny Tele-Elmarit from KEH in "bargain" condition.
Bargain is supposed to be ugly looking, but perfect mechanically.  I opened the
package and found a lens that to me looked perfect!  Really, I don't know who
grades their stuff but it was really just like new looking.  However, the
focusing ring was just a tad stiffer than the other lens I had, a 35 'cron
asph.  I can live with that, but would like it a little looser.

The second, a 'lux 50 I got from an Ebay seller.  Once again, it looks brand new
but the focusing ring is a tad stiffer than the T-E.  I can use it as is, but
would like to have it looser.

Is this work that a specialized repair facility should do?  What do most of you
all do in such situations?  I'm going to try the monitor heating trick, by the
way.  (thanks).  Any other tips?  Any holes to stick the WD-40 tube in?

What causes lenses to get stiff?  Non-use, perhaps?

Replies: Reply from "Bud Cook" <budcook@attglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Stiff focus ring)
Message from Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com> ([Leica] Re: Stiff focus ring)