Subject: Re: [Leica] LEICAUSA
From: "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 13:40:21 -0700

First of all, the concept of a "grey market" is very much out of step with
the times.  For the last 20 years, distribution channels have been
compressing, as competition for customers drives manufacturers to eliminate
middlemen.  The manufacturer->distributor->dealer model is an artifact of
the last century that is rapidly disappearing.

The fact that this lens came from the grey market does not change the fact
that it was manufactured by Leica and that they have an obligation to stand
by thier products during the warranty period.  Why should they be able to
shirk thier responsibility or treat customers badly just because the product
didn't move through thier approved channels?  Remember, most customers are
not as knowledgeable as people on this list.  Most of them don't know or
care to know about all the intricacies of the passport warranty, etc.  They
simply look for the right product at the right price.

Again, I would suggest that Leica deal with the problem at its source - the
dealers who dump products on the open market.  It is perfectly reasonable to
have different warranty terms for products sold in different countries.  But
when a customer buys a product with an "international warranty", that
customer has a right to service under the terms of that warranty.  It's that
simple.

- --Jim