Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Quality limits with Epson 1270
From: Arthur Leyenberger <larthurl@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:24:48 -0700 (PDT)

Fellow LUGnuts:
I need some help!
I purchased an HP S20 scannerand Epson 1270 printer. I
took some what I think are beautiful shots with my
Leica R100 Macro, but I'm having trouble printing them
on the 1270. Specifically, I've scanned in the
negative of my Mom's cat at 2400 (max) and 1600 (I
believe). Then when I try to print at 8x10, I get
blotches of ink on the brownish cat fur (they look
like small horizontal stripes in a  rectangular area,
maybe a dozen of them spread across the body of the
cat).

I'm using Photoshop 5x to acuire twain (HP se20). 1270
printer works OK otherwise (such as printing text, web
pages, even thumbnails in ACDSee of JPEG images).
Also, I am using both Epson premium glossy photo paper
and some Kodak glossy photo paper.

So, what resolution should I use to scan in the negs
(slides next once I understand procedure)? Should I
use RGB mode in Photoshop? I'm new at this and am
eager to learn how to master this scanner/printer
combination.
thanks, as usual for the help.
.....Art in New Jersey