Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Rapidwinder and film mis-advance/loading....
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:45:38 -0400

> When I received my two Rapidwinders I couldn't get the baskets off the
> original base plates, so I said to hell with it,  Tom says you don't
> really need them and away I went sans baskets.

I'm going to try and put the basket on the Rapidwinder...  That was my
initial inclination, but from people in this list, and on advice from the
maker, I did not.

> As much as I hate to say it. Is it possible, it's the
> guy loading the film in the camera creating the problem?

Certainly not creating the problem, but not recognizing the problem
immediately after loading the roll, yes, that was certainly my oversight.
 I saw the take up spool move...but didn't notice it didn't move
enough...until after a few shots...

Out of curiosity, how is it you would expect I could possibly 'create' the
problem?  In 25 years of shooting I have logged well over 10,000 rolls of
film, and never, ever have had a bad load (or a roll not come out), except
this once.  In fact, the Leica manual states the following (and I quote):

"Important - Do not check correct loading when the camera is open.  The
base plate is designed such that it guides the film into the correct
position when attached to the camera."

The film was in the take-up spool just fine, so that was not the problem.
 The problem was the perforations weren't engaged in the cogs.  I believe
the film is supposed to be moved up into the correct position by the
basket...and all I had to do was move the film up a bit until it was
engaged in the cogs, put the base plate back on, and now that roll works
fine (take up crank is spinning as it should as I advance the film).

So, Ted, you're of the 'never had a problem' camp.  Just wait... ;-)

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Rapidwinder and film mis-advance/loading....)