Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V17 #182
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 13:54:02 EDT

In a message dated 6/17/00 3:14:35 AM,
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us writes:

<<  If you could take only 1-2 lenses from an R or M system, what would you
> take?  It may sound silly to many but I'm getting tired of carrying a 15
> pound camera bag. >>

My minimum superlight Leica travel kit is a CL with 40mm Summicron and a
100mm Canon 3.5 with LTM to M adaptor. The 40mm Summicron is as good as they
come and the Canon beats any of the Leica similar speed and focal length
lenses. The CL rangefinder is marginal to inadequate for anything faster in
the 90 to 100mm range so the Elmarits are out. The 90mm finder in the CL is a
little oversize for 90mm lenses but frames the 100mm Canon exactly. I also
carry a P&S (Yashica T4) for quick snaps, emergencies and the rare flash
shot.

Extending 35mm minimalization to its extreme point, if I had to carry only
one small piece of equipment on a once in a lifetime trip, it would probably
be a Rollei 35SE. There is very little to go wrong in this entirely manual cam
era and its superb Sonnar 40mm f2.8 can handle most travel pictures with
ease. Of course if the trip was a hunting safari in Africa I might reconsider
my options.

LarryZ