Subject: Re: [Leica] flash sf20
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 08:04:08 -0600

I do not use flash that much but with the purchase of my new TTL came a free
SF-20 flash. I have shot a roll of Provia F with it just to see what it will
do and was very impressed with the degree of light control that a TTL flash
gives you (remember this is my first exposure to TTL flash). It is easy to
use and the diodes in the viewfinder are useful. One is able to easily
provide the subtlest of fills quickly. In its favour are its small size and
light weight coupled with sufficient power (will not replace my big guns
which have GNs of 45 metres or so as compared to the SF-20's 20 metres). It
unfortunately uses the (2) CR/DL123A batteries which are more expensive and
harder to find than the ubiquitous AAs. It is the first flash I have seen
that allows exposure compensation in the automatic mode (0 to ­3.0 in full
stop steps) which will be useful with my M2. It also is impossible to use
the flash with the visoflex attached, where it would be extremely useful, as
the prism is right over the hot shoe. I am going to pick up a vertical
magnifier and see if I get Nikons SC-17 TTL cord on but as the cord points
forward it looks a little doubtful perhaps some exploratory surgery on the
SC-17 is in order.... I will keep you posted. My recommendation is that the
SF-20 is a great flash.

The Metz offers TTL only on the 32, 40, and 50 series of flashes, none of
which are exactly petite. The one flash they specially show with the M6 is
the 34 series (also uses CR/DR123A batteries) which does not offer TTL with
the M6TTL though there are 34 series models that have TTL with the Minolta,
Canon and Nikon. The 34 only offers automatic operation with the M6TTL
though it could be used as a TTL slave flash in conjunction with a TTL flash
on the M6TTL. Finally Metz makes the SF-20 for Leica and may not be allowed
to make a TTL version of the 34 for contractual reasons. Here are the
relevant URLs:

http://metz.de/eng/Welcome.html

http://www.leica-camera.com/m_system/macc_e.htm

Cheers