Subject: Re: [Leica] f/8 and be there - segueing into Military Censorship and Freedom of The Press
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 01:10:52 -0400

B. D. Colen jotted down the following:

> The heavy handed censorship in the Gulf War was a direct result of, and
> reaction to, the journalistic freedom of Vietnam.

As someone who witnessed the Gulf War from a dorm room in northern Europe
primarily through CNN, my impression wasn't so much one of censored press as
orchestrated press.  It appeared as thought the US military completely
dictated what the media reported (or at least CNN -- and virtually everyone
else picked up and re-reported the CNN stories), along with which supporting
media such as photos, video footage and stills they could use.  The most
surprising aspect of all this was that CNN seemed perfectly happy and
willing to go along with the arrangement.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |    What boots up must come down.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |