Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Ted Grant wrote:
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:26:12 -0700

Sorry Ted-
Didn't mean to imply any negative thing here- tongue was partly in the
cheek, but I did want to point out that while bench tests are wonderful for
knowing the absolute limits of what a lens might do--- for the most part, it
is the results we get that we judge, and with most applications- especially
in publications and on web pages- the results do not have to be anywhare
near "Leica Standards'!
I love reading Erwin's reviews ( He has one in the little Leica magazine
they send out, I think from NJ this month as they sent me one....) and find
them very enlightening, but if I was looking for perfection- I wouldn't be
using a 1933 90mm Elmar for some of my shots!
I agree with you- it's what we want, the vision we wnat to show others, our
way of seeing that is important, and if you can stack two or three extenders
on a lens that Leica says wouldn't give acceptavble results- fine, as long
as it give results that are exceptable to you.
I was merely trying to point out that there are those who strive for one
type of perfection- MTFs that would slice bacteris, they are so sharp, and
those that look for the 'bigger' picture- like the fellow that finds the
shots taken with the toy cameras so interesting.
I mentioned Erwin ONLY to juxtapose the discussion. He just, to me,
represents part of the spectrum of what people expect or look for in lenses,
as do you!
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or Erwin.
Dan ( personally... I wish Hubert Puts would post more!) Post