Subject: Re: [Leica] Immune to brassing!
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:21:47 -0400

> I certainly cannot speak authoritatively on this but one of the
> justifications Leica used when they switched from brass to the zinc
> composite top plates was zinc's superior ability to absorb shock. This would
> imply that it actually is softer and would dent or mar more easily than a
> brass top plate.
>
> John Collier
>
>> From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
>>
>>.......it has never been mentioned that brass is actually a very soft metal
>> which is easily dinged, scratched or crushed. Zinc is probably better.

John,
Likewise, I cannot speak from any authority about this subject it is just my
impression from my old beat up and dented M2's. Also after installing a
motor drive on the brass bottom plate of my Nikon FM2n it became crushed
from the tightening down of the mounting screw. And also from my many years
experience with sailboats. For example many years ago I installed 8 shiny
new brass port lights (windows for those land lubbers). They were 1/4" thick
but within two years the brass screws had turned pink and in another year
literally turned to dust. I replaced the screws but in two more years the
port lights themselves started to crumble. Zinc on the other hand is also
used for many boat related things including attaching to the hull below the
water line to prevent electrolysis. My only knowledge of these two metals is
from holding them both in my hands and the feeling that zinc to be the
stronger metal. The port lights on my boat for many trouble free years now
are silicon bronze.
Steve
Annapolis