Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Sylvia Plachy OT and "Art"
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 22:54:14 +0100

2000-06-08-00:47:10 Jim Brick:
> Who the hell is Sylvia Plachy? Is she a friend of Eggleston?

Huh?  Never heard of Sylvia Plachy?  Of the weekly `Sylvia Plachy's
Unguided Tour' photo piece in the Voice for years and years?  Has an
Aperture book?  Apprenticed with Kertesz?

Oh.

> And the college photo instructors were there as well. I cannot repeat on
> the LUG what they said to me about the fact that "that" photograph actually
> got exhibited, and I R-E-A-L-L-Y cannot repeat what they said about its
> winning. They must have been in the US Navy before they became photographers.

C'mon, Jim, do tell: it'd be a public service.  Swearing thoroughly
and creatively is an artform (oops -- that word!).  Too many people
get dull and repetitive when they're cussing.

> But I guess this tells you something about the folks that pick Art. It also
> tells you something about the definition of the word "Art."

Could be.  But it also makes me want to see the photo myself -- since
I've seen you trash photos before, with similar thoroughness, and some
of them were things I could see reasons for liking.  When there's that
much fuss, I get curious.

Message from Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com> ([Leica] Re: Sylvia Plachy OT and "Art")