Subject: Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:43:15 -0400

KC wrote: "...it's brutally depressing."

Don't be sad, Kyle.  There's a great lesson here for all of us.

The reason there are so many fine photos taken with toy cameras is the
purity of the work (both as a noun and verb).

1) Toy cameras don't intimidate.  Most non-professional photographers
(unless they're under the influence of an illicit substance) feel
self-conscious about sticking a luxurious Leica or an aptly named Canon in
someone's face...even a friend or relative's.  Many subjects, as well, don't
appreciate a "serious" camera pointed at them.  It's seen by some as an
invasion of privacy.  A plastic camera, however, just seems like "good clean
fun" to both parties.  Both photographer and subject are thus relaxed and
better photos result.  Perhaps our friend John Brownlow (Johnny Deadman) can
give us some tips here.

2) Toy cameras don't complicate.  Aperture?  Shutter speed?  Metering mode?
Program?  Depth of field?  Handheld?  Tripod?  It's no wonder we miss the
point of a photograph when we're caught up all this decision making.  I'm
guessing that our hero, HCB, estimated at the exposure, based on experience,
and pre-focused or roughly focused his grab shots.  The only decision he
allowed himself was when to press the shutter release.

Maybe those of us who'd really like to take better pictures rather than
collect better collectibles should buy a toy camera and spend a couple of
weeks reprogramming ourselves.  I'll bet we'd use our Leicas to better
effect then.

Craig
Boston