Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Was: Tell Me About This Lens Now: TE versus new elmarit
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:39:24 -0700

Here again.... the quandry of what to keep and what not to keep!
Since it really boils down to the subjective assessment of what makes the
image YOU ( and you alone!) want, I would say to take a roll of film, shoot
some pictures of typical subject matter for you, and then SEE which does the
best job for you!!!
Everyone wonders why Ted may love a lens one week, and sell it the next.
Simple. The lens may do a bangup job on assignment "A", and he loves it, but
then again- he ain't married to it, and if the new assignment "B" calls for
another look, or technique, he uses what does the job. This I am sure can be
expensive for the professional, since they are faced with a wide gamut of
assignments, but those of us who do it for LOVE!, we tend to focus (sorry
about that one!) on one type of photography- portraits, people in general,
street photography, foto realite, etc. For us it is relatively simple. We
use what makes the type of image we seek, and usually, we don't have to
change so often!
Personally, I cannot fault the Tele-Elmar.... even if it is older. I have a
1933 Elmar that gives me the look I want, whereas the 90 Summicron-M
doesn't! I favor a very clean and mean Summarit over the Summilux, but like
the 35 Summicron for most things, but for street shots- in bright daylight-
a Summaron does very well, and with an adapter- fits the M6 and works quite
nicely, thank you! So some of my stuff, patterns and expressions are more
important than resolving nose hair, or pimples on someone 50 feet away.
Trust your own eyes- USE THE FORCE, LUKE!

Dan ( Obi Wan) Post