Subject: RE: [Leica] stuck 50
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 23:02:58 -0400

> Better have it checked. Those symptons are often due to a screw coming
> loose inside, and forcing the focussing can damage something quite easily.

Henning,

All of the screws on the rear of the lens are intact, and shining a
flashlight into the lens reveals that the screws (?) surrounding the
aperture ring are also intact, as are the screws on the lens mount and
inside the body (at least all that are visible).  Are there any others that
aren't visible that might have come loose?

I figure some grit or dirt got into the threads of the focusing cam and had
to work its way loose before it would turn freely, or else the grease
happened to stiffen up at that spot.

I hate to take it back to the dealer and lose the use of the lens if its
really nothing.  I'm inclined to hold onto it and only send it back if the
problem happens again.  But if you feel there is a reasonable risk that the
occurrence reflects a serious problem, I will defer to your better judgment.
Perhaps this is all the excuse I need to buy the 28/2.8 in the meantime. :)

Thanks for your input,
Dan