Subject: Re: [Leica] Demo Days / Clean and Check
From: chucko@siteconnect.com (Chuck Albertson)
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 08:27:00 -0700

Bill,

When they have these in Seattle, someone from the Leica service department
will do a visual exam of the camera, check the shutter speeds on some sort
of shutter-speed gizmo, replace the foam gaskets on the film-speed window if
you have an R4, and a few tips on operating and maintenance (like rotating
the M6 film-speed dial through its full range when you change film---clears
out dust that can build up and affect the film-speed contacts and metering
accuracy). No heavy maintenance---they don't bring all the tools, and
there's usually a line of people waiting to get their cameras checked.

If you're not having any problems with your new M5, I'll leave it to you to
decide whether it's worth the drive. If the M5 has been in a box or
otherwise out of action for a while, though, a shutter-speed check is a good
idea, if it can't be done locally.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.