Subject: [Leica] Oh Barf! Patina, Pashmina!
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:38:42 -0400

This is not intended as an attack on any individual living or dead. It is
intended as an attack on an ethos that is much too much alive:

Oh, Barf!! Patina, Pashmina...Use a camera, it will get brassed. Don't use
it, it won't. Owning a brassed M will not turn you into HCB, Jim Marshall,
or, for that matter, the reasonably skilled and imaginative high school kid
down the block who does great things with her K1000.

This entire black paint, brassed-assed series of threads is precisely what's
wrong with the LUG - too many people are obsessed with the possession of an
icon called a Leica than are obsessed with using a camera to share their
artistic/political/sociological/familial/anthropological/lunatic vision with
the world.

You like shiny black paint - buy a black paint M. You like chrome - buy a
chrome M. You can't afford a Leica - buy what you can afford and TAKE PHOTOS
WITH IT.

B. D.

Replies: Reply from "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net> ([Leica] Oh Barf! Patina - Epson 1270)