Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 black paint/brassing
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 15:34:05 -0400

Arthur wrote:  "I just think the whole black paint thing is just "a wee bit
excessive."  Are we talking jewelry here, or cameras?"

Well, Arthur...

To quote the April issue of the UK's "Practical Photography" magazine, "It's
the ultimate in male jewellery...."

A feature article in the magazine details the experience of three readers
who were given an M6 to play with for a day.  Here's the story's lead:

"Every photographer wants a Leica.  To have one dangling about your neck is,
for many, a statement of success and sophistication.  It's a sign that says:
"I am a serious photographer, with a serious amount of money.  But, is
ownership everything it's cracked up to be?"

The story's pretty interesting.  One guy blew four of the five rolls of film
he was given by misloading the camera (sound familiar?).  He liked it
anyway, saying the Leica had brought him "down to earth."  One of the other
"Practical Photography Challenge"  participants said that after his day-long
experience with the M6, he'd buy one...but only as a complement to his SLR
(Nikon) gear.  The third guy was impressed by the Leica, too, especially its
potential for photo-reportage.  In the end, though, he said wouldn't get rid
of his current Olympus gear in favor of the Leica...even if he had the
money.

Well, I've got both...and can't complain.

Craig
Boston