Subject: RE: [Leica] Tell Me About This Lens and Charlton Heston
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 13:06:39 -0400

The part number for the metal shade is, I believe, 12575.  I agree with all
of the favorable comments on the "skinny" Tele-Elmarit, a little gem of a
lens!  But I disagree with negative comments (such as that below) about the
Leica CL, a lovely little gem of a camera.  Sure it's not as solid and
rugged as an M3/2/4/4-2/4-P/5/6.  However it was not intended to be that,
but rather smaller, lighter, and even more able to be carried everywhere.
To me, therefore, that trade-off is a perfect example of not being able to
have your cake and eat it too.  Same for the collapsible rubber lens hoods.
They may not have protected lenses as well as metal shades from droppage and
other catastrophes, but they were intended rather for convenience (I can
only presume).  You can pop the lens cap off and pop the hood open in a
single split-second motion.  I wish Leica made such collapsible rubber
shades with snap caps for all of its lenses, not that Leica should
discontinue the metal shades, which are excellent for their purposes, but
merely as an alternative for those who, like me, appreciate the way the
collapsible rubber shades serve so well their slightly different purposes.

Art Peterson