Subject: [Leica] Techniques Please?
From: "Hugh Thompson" <painfree@istar.ca>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:05:05 -0400

Rick:

<Gotta stay awake to new ideas....>

You obviously have spent time and learned the hard way how to handle
children, and parents - in turn I thank you for sharing your ideas.

The company I work with on weekends requires that we use a MF camera for
family portraiture, but I still use a rangefinder, the Fuji GW670III - the
rangefinder is great for seeing whether that little girl blinked, or if the
flash was reflected off grandma's glasses - another thing you learn by being
there.  One of the most expensive touchups is trying to take out glare on
glasses, sometimes eyes have to be rebuilt - wow!  We do not use digital
because of the cost factor, film is still much cheaper, as long as I don't
lose those eyes!

I spend a great deal of time setting up the group so it has a pleasing
shape - one thing I am currently experimenting with is a loose group (works
well with teenage children and adults) as an alternative to cuddly
grouping - it allows each person to stand in a relaxed way - sometimes I
just ask people to move around, then shout "stop" and look at the pattern -
some families have a relaxed air about them and each individual will take an
interesting pose.  The effect can be very natural and pleasing.

Does anyone else have some ideas to share, I am always looking for
alternative poses, as informal as possible, for family portraits - thanks -
Hugh Thompson

Replies: Reply from Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au> (Re: [Leica] Techniques Please?)