Subject: Re: [Leica] Techniques Please?
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 09:51:29 -0700

Rick-
"I feel your pain!", but seriously (and now for something entirely
different....) I would impart a couple of tips that work for me.

One- I am a large intimidating guy, and I have found that I have success
about talking to a child, and not DOWN to them. I avoid tha baby talk crap.
Now, I get a few incredulous looks from toddlers- it's like they are
thinking- "You talkin' t' ME?"

As a psych student, I came to realize that children can understand far more
than they can say in return; young children before the age of two have vocal
tracts similar to chimps. This allows them to breathe while they suckle, but
it makes it hard to produce intelligible sounds, hence their babbling! They
ARE talking, but it just isn't coming out! I don't get impatient with them,
and if you spend a bit of time with the occasional recalcitrant child, you
can usually get through!

Sport team monster shots! I did it one summer. HORRORS! These were a small
team of T-ballers, and eventually, I found that a promise of a trip to
Pizza-Hut after the shoot rendered them more pliable! Of course, if you're
shoot a large team, this might not be cost effective!

The occasional 'difficult' number? short of a cattle-prod, I can't help you,
but sometimes a little man-to-man talk can help; afterall, this sort of
child is probably in need of attention. I would suggest that you 'recruit'
this guy to 'help' make sure everybody is in a straight line, then assign
him the 'pivot' duty- let him hold the team flag, a bat, ball or something
and let him know that you are using him to focus on, and that he's helping
you make the team look good.

Too much psychology? - perhaps, but children are just like us... or maybe we
are like children! We have our 'needs', we are loath to share our toys
(Leicas? On topic!), and we sometimes, as my mother used to put it- "show
our asses" to get a little attention (Gee- does that sound like a LUGGER?).
I think if you really like kids, then you will be able to deal with them,
and get those mum-pleasers easily! Good luck, and best of light to you!

Dan ( Colonial Upstart Pontificator) Post