Subject: [Leica] M-GRIPS/QUICK DRAWS/ET ALice
From: "EXT-Alexander, John" <John.Alexander@ARZ.Boeing.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:15:41 -0700

Fellow LUGgers,

The following is part of a private conversation between Jim Brick and myself
re: a optimum bag to carry two (2) M6s with my full complement of current
and projected lenses.  I had no intention of posting this to the LUG at
large; but because so much discussion of late centers on Leica M-grips and
bags of various ilks, I decided that I would post this for grins.  I, for
one, am enamored by TA's Rapidwinder; but until the Rapidgrip enters stage
left, I believe the M-grip is just what the doctor ordered for quick
shooting with a couple of M's with lenses mounted.

PLEASE GUYS, DO NOT USE THIS LONG POST FOR ANY COMMENTS OR RESPONSES.  SNIP
IT OR SKIP IT!!!!

<Greetings Jim,
If it works for you it's got to have merits...by definition!  Your
description provides one more valid data point for me in my quest for an
all-around working bag for the equipment mentioned.  When all is said and
done, I know I'm going to have several bags for different occasions, moods,
etc.  I play the same juggling act with my MF equipment - varying between a
rigidly compartmentalized (rather large) Lightware case to a Domke F6 and
waist bag - depending on whether I'm on foot or cruising around in the car.

Jim, I'm entertaining the notion that I may be able to get everything into a
Billingham Alice if I do some custom mods on that bag.  I know for a fact
that using one Billingham partition (of the two that came with the bag) in
the center compartment (a little off center) will exactly accommodate an M6
w/35mm Summilux ASPH on the left side (lens pointing RIGHT and M-grip
pointing UP) , and an M6 with 75mm Summilux on the other side (also with
lens pointing RIGHT and M-grip UP)- with a little room to spare.  This will
allow for a "quick draw" of either camera (one of the great appeals of the
M-grip for me, personally).  Now, when I am in "shooting mode", I intend to
have both of the lenses' covers OFF at all times.  So, I think it would be
prudent to provide a very soft, "cottony" material in the interior of the
bag so that the quick draw extractions and insertions of the equipment from
each side would give the lenses all the protection they need.

Because the Alice has two small, narrow, internal "pockets" - one at each
end of the bag, it occurred to me that I could stuff a strip of soft
material (approx 4 inch by 2 1/2 ft or so) down the left pocket, then run
the material over the bottom of the left compartment, over the partition,
over the bottom of the right compartment and then stuffing the right end of
the material down the right "pocket".  As an experiment, I used a (very
soft) cottony-felt "polishing cloth" that comes in every box of
Allen-Edmonds shoes .  When folded, the cloth behaves as if it were custom
designed for the purposes described.  The ample front pouch of the Alice
could be rather easily partitioned into three sections with (cut and sewn)
modified Domke inserts to accommodate the stacked lenses on the left, film
in the middle and, incredibly, a space on the right for another lens (e.g.,
90mm AA).  The rear internal compartment of the Alice would accommodate the
light meter on the left, lens caps and cleaning items in the middle, and the
SF-20 on the right.  Would everything fit?  I am absolutely convinced that
it will.  If the leather straps of the Alice become a bit snug to close when
pulled over the brass studs, it's no big deal to haul the bag down to the
cobbler and have him punch two more holes just above the others (there's
plenty of room).

With the addition of the Domke "Postal" shoulder pad (your suggestion) on
this modified Alice, it may just be the outfit I'm looking for.

As soon as I get my 2nd black (I now have a chrome one)  M6HP-TTL and 35mm
ASPH Summilux, I'll let you know how the functionality of this assembly pans
out in actual usage.

Meanwhile, Jim, here's hoping you continue your valuable and informative
comments and opinions to the LUG membership at large.  We are all better off
(yes, I opine, probably even Ted) as a result of your never-dull musings.>

John A. Alexander
Phoenix