Subject: Source for PX-27 Hg Batteries? WAS:Re: [Leica] Batteries and paint
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 08:08:11 -0400

Thanks for info.  I laid in about six PX-625's last year so I'm covered
for
now.  But, I need a few PX-27 batteries for use in Minox GTE and Rollei
35SE cameras.  Any ideas for a source for these?

Because the good old USA is the only country to ban these due to
environmental concerns I figure that Varta and other world manufacturers
would still be making them by the truckload, so I am surprised to find
out Varta is stopping production.

I'm for the environment and all that, but it seems the mercury photo
battery regulations are a little overboard.  I understand one four foot
flourscent light tube has more mercury than hundreds of these little
camera batteries.  Camera batteries last for years in most instances,
whereas the lights are consumed rapidly and thrown away.  Not to mention
that there are lots more light tubes in existence by an order of
magnitude.  If there were a suitable nontoxic battery with the same
characteristics of the banned Hg batteries I wouldn't mind the rules.
But nothing has the same discharge characteristics and therefore the
substitutes give false readings on analog meters.  Perhaps there has
been a technological breakthrough recently that I don't know about, and
if so, please someone enlighten me.  Until then, where can I get real Hg
PX-27 batteries?  (before it's too late)?