Subject: [Leica] LHSA M6 Black Paint Report - LONG
From: "Lee Yan Zhan" <yzlee@cyberway.com.sg>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 02:22:18 +0800

Dear LUGGER,

Frankly, when I ordered the M6 LHSA TTL Black Paint, I have my doubts for a
few reasons.  Firstly, I tried a few TTL cameras(from friends) and felt that
the old Leitz smoothness on the shuttle and rewind lever was not there.
Secondly, the new black paint on the Millenium camera was below my
expectation.  Paint was so thin I could see the brass marks on the top
plate.  Its now in the dry cabinet - my Leica Time Capsule.  Thirdly, as a
"purists", I am not sure if I will get used  to the large shuttle knobs, new
directions and "larger" body.  Also, I have Tom A's report on the battery
problems constantly ringing in my ears.  I was actually looking forward to
the Classic M6 Black Painted!!!!

Being a LHSA member for almost 4 years now, I have learn very much from the
wonderful Viewfinder magazines and make many new friends.  Although I am
almost 10,000km away, I am proud to be a member.  The premium on the $2595
will be put to good use and its the least I could contribute to the society.

I know I must have this camera - at least one - the 0.72 like the good old
M4.  I plan to use it even if its gonna be a future collectable.  I
contacted Doug of Camera Land and took a plunge with my VISA card. (By the
way, Doug is a very patience and helpful person - Highly Recommended!!!)

I just received my M6 LHSA TTL 2 days back.  SURPRISE SURPRISE - I love
it!!!!!

The paint job seems to be better than the Millenium camera.  I could not
"see-thru" the paint in any angle.  Its shiner than my old black paint M4
but the finish looks better.(Maybe because its new and my M4 is almost 20-30
years old).  The finder is, again surprisingly, very good!!!!  It seems to
be brighter and more contrast than even my M6HM.  Next, I explored the
winding lever and shuttle knob - again, surprisingly, very smooooth!!!!  I
wonder if this camera has special treatment at the plant.

The rest is the same as the regular M6.  I attached the strap, loaded a film
and took it out for a test drive.  It fits in right away.  I didn't even
think about the directional problem on the shuttle knob.  It metered fast
and shots were taken naturally(2 rolls).

Back home, I did a test with my Gossen handheld and the meter is right on.
I applied black tapes to the corner and realised(remembered then) that its
slightly taller.  I mounted a few lens(35, Noct, 75, 21, 135, Nikkor 105,
Canon 85) on it to feel the "M" balance and handling - it pass.  Then I
discovered that for some strange reason, my early black M2 Summilux 35/1.4
Canadian doesn't mount well on the camera.  I have to twist, turn and nudge
it in.  Pulling out is the same.  Panic stricken, I took out a dozen other
lens to test - no problems except the Summilux!!!!(Anyone Any Idea??).  On
the battery drain problem, I am not sure if Leica has applied the fix yet on
this model.  My serial no is #2548188.

All in All, I am delighted to say the LHSA M6 Black Paint is a job well
done.  I am considering the 0.85 version very seriously now.  Unless Leica
comes out with something NEW, this is going to be my last M6 - I swear!!!(to
my wife, excluding a possible 0.85).

I suppose deep down, its works like a regular M6 TTL.  To some folks, I
agree its not really worth the $600 premium.  But if you are a LHSA member
and like black paint cameras, this is really special.  To me, its worth
every cent, including my 2-cents in this report.

Cheers,
Lee
Fellow LUGGER from Singapore

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Dust in viewfinder)