Subject: re: [Leica] Good Marketing
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 00:11:58 -0500

With the price of "demo" R8's being $1400 or less, I think Leica has finally
hit the magic marketing sweet spot.  The camera is admittedly awesome.  At
substantially less cost than a Nikon F5.
<<<<<<<<<<

Past threads on this list have noted that a Leica "demo" (at least in
the US) is often a Leica camera returned for repair and replaced,
then repaired by Leica and resold as a "demo" camera. And some buyers
of those "demos" have reported the repairs not having been made all
that completely or well. A search of the archives should turn up
those posts, but if memory serves, R8 "demos" were particularly
troublesome.

My reaction to those threads may well be overreaction, but they
convinced me that I'd save my pennies for Leica new -- or a proven
Leica used -- before I'd buy a Leica "demo."

Larry

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Good Marketing)