Subject: Re: [Leica] Views on the Leica 135mm f/2.8 Elmarit M
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 23:20:19 -0500

My 2.8 Elmarit is the longest lens I have for the M6 that's useable for the
theater and indoor horse show pictures I seem to take the most of these days
(that's what my kids are doing.)  I have an RRS plate on it, which makes it
rather uncomfortable to use hand held, although I've done it on occasion.  But
on a tripod with a ball head it has taken superb photos  that just wouldn't have
come out with a 90 or with a slower 135.  I'd suggest you try the 135/2.8 and
see how it fits your hands and camera bag - it does take more space than a pure
tubular lens, and in a couple of my bags it just plain doesn't fit (unless I
want to rearrange the inner partitions.)

But the size of the 2.8 made me buy a Hektor on ebay recently (the devil made me
do it, really.)  I've also bought an old 90mm Elmar recently, and am hoping that
the two will be small and light enough to be relatively constant occupants of a
lightweight kit that will be used most of the time when I'm not working in
inside darkness.  I bought the Hektor because it will also work on a IIIc I
bought recently, but if I only had M cameras I'd have saved up for the 135
Tele-Elmar - I had one of those for many years, and it was  wonderful lens to
carry and use in most situations, just not as good as a 2.8 in low light.

Cheers,
Kip