Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz vs. Voigtländer
From: Gaifana@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 21:15:57 EDT

I'm sure it will start a flame war somehow, but these are the realistic
alternatives to the Summaron and the current Summicron.  If you went to a
Summicron (or really, anything on this list), you probably would never use a
Summaron again.  The Summaron was an early wideangle, and in the days when it
came out, Leica had not emphasized wideangles at all (the exception being the
3.5cm Elmar), and it was an arena with only Contax as a big player (the
Biogon was the first really useful wideangle).

Current Summicrons are harsh.   I guess it depends on what you like.  My
favorites, in order of decreasing price and performance (but bear in mind,
the difference between the top  and bottom is not what you would expect by
the prices - the Russian one makes negatives almost indistinguishable from
the Hexars and Canons).

Leitz Midland 35/2 Summicron (~700)
- -planar type 7/6 construction, 39.0 filter
- -nice, pleasant bokeh

Konica Hexar RF black (~450)
- -planar type 7/6 construction, 46.0 filter
- -direct duplicate of the midland summicron
- -optimized for bokeh
- -to be released this summer as 35/2 Hexanon-M

Canon 35/2 screwmount black (~400) (to 1972)
- -planar type 7/4 construction, 40.0 filter
- -extremely sharp lens, high contrast, harsh bokeh
- -sharper than a 35/2.8 Contax Zeiss Distagon SLR lens
- -getting tough to find
- -competitive with any lens of its day

Russian 35/2.8 Jupiter-12 (~100)
- -biogon-type construction, 40.5 filter
- -the bargain choice -- very competitive with top-flight lenses
- -rear element protrudes into body quite a bit - not for Canon RF.
Canon 35/1.8 screwmount chrome (~275)
- -planar type 7/4 construction, 40.0 filter
- -decent performance and fast