Subject: Re: Noctilux Focusing (was Re: [Leica] noctilux vs. the cheap alternative)
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 18:12:55 -0400

At 10:57 PM 5/25/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Bryan
>
>When you are using the Noctilux in very low light, how do you focus the
>thing when you can hardly see the subject.  I ask this because I was trying
>to take some indoor shots with Scala at 1600 in very low light using my 50mm
>f/2 and, although I could get an exposure at 1/8 sec @ f/2, I could not see
>the subject well enough to know if I had proper focus on it.  Is the f/1
>Noctilux that much brighter that focusing is easier?
>
>Simon

Simon -

No, it's definitely not easier!  Pick out the most important part of the
photo and concentrate on getting it exactly in focus.  If you have to turn
the camera sideways or upside down, find a point that you can make come
together in that circle.  Start out with a pretty close estimate of
distance and then fine tune by moving yourself back and forth until your
point of focus snaps in.  It's never as definite as a "snap" but if you
move yourself back and forth gently, you can almost see when the image is
sharper.  I say "almost" but some of you with younger eyes will see the
difference with no problems.  Take lots of photos when your eyes are young
and edit when your soul is older!!

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP