Subject: [Leica] RE: Soft Release
From: kwilcox@mail.davison.k12.mi.us (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 13:35:02 -0400

At 12:16 PM -0400 5/25/0, BOB KRAMER wrote:

>	I've tried the Delta 3200, and it has WAY too much grain.  Even the
>Neopan 1600 showed too much grain (shot at 1600 EI) for my liking.  Maybe I
>will give the Neopan a try at 800 EI and see what happens.  Still, it is a
>little pricey compared to bulk loading Tri-X.  So for now I think I will see
>what the soft release will do for me.  If I can get just one more stop I
>think I will be okay (yeah, I know.  Shooting in low light is like being a
>junkie...  I always need just one more stop!  <g> ).  Otherwise I will just
>increase the available light.  I have started to carry a small flash unit in
>my shirt pocket, already connected to the camera with a coiled PC cord, for
>when all else fails.  I knew there was a reason I had Sherry upgrade the
>flash terminals on my M3 last year!
>
>	Bob Kramer
>	Atlanta, GA

Bob:

I'll recommend that you try shooting Tri-X and processing in Edwal FG7
using the recommended sodium sulfite dilution. I find that Tri-X's normal
speed in this is 650. It can be pushed easily one stop and acceptably two
or three stops. The grain remains quite moderate. (Of course then you will
want to use this with a Noctilux and shot in the dark)

Ken Wilcox

DO NOT use the reply fuction! Address any response to wilcox@tir.com

- ----
Ken Wilcox                        Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits

				      preferred---> <wilcox@tir.com>
						   <kwilcox@gfn.org>