Subject: [Leica] Re: Benbo Tripods
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 09:03:16 -0400

Jim Brick wrote:

"The problem with tripods is that the vibration "moment arm" is the post

that the tripod head/camera is mounted on . . . A Benbo tripod always
has the camera sitting "out on a limb" so to speak.
The "center post" is always extended, the camera is hanging out there,
and vibrations are inherent."

This is about half right. It's true that like many tripods the Benbo
gets progressively more wobbly the further you extend the center column,
which is why whenever I have to raise it on my MK 1 more than about 3-4
inches or so I use MLU on my Hasselblad. But it's not true that you
always have to raise the column. The tripod works just fine with the
column pushed all the way down, and it is very solid set in this way. If
you need to get low to the ground you can still swing it so that the
non-camera-holding end swings free of the ground and get the camera to
within about 6 inches of the ground without extending the column. If you
do need to use it to get an angle, just remember to keep the extension
as short as possible as with other medium-weight tripods, or use MLU.

Personally, I don't often use mine in such an adventurous way. I do a
lot of corporate portraits in cramped offices. The Benbo lets me work
around furniture without having to move it, which my clients like. They
especially like it when I can suspend the camera over the nice mahogany
conference table without touching-- or scratching-- it!

Simon Stevens

Replies: Reply from cec@vbe.com (Re: [Leica] Re: Benbo Tripods)
Reply from "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Benbo Tripods)