Subject: Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Contax G2: Cost
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 10:38:23 EDT

In a message dated 5/23/00 7:56:49 AM, upstream1@mindspring.com writes:

>Are we having a translation problem here. . .I just explained the problem. .

.an additional $700 (almost 2X) for the body and it gets worse with the

glass.  That's the problem! If that's not a problem for you and you have

some extra money kicking around, possibly you would like to underwrite a few

college students for the difference?

And don't go comparing a used camera with no warrantee to a new one with
>a 3
>
>year warrantee. . .that's just absurd.

Perhaps absurd, but maybe not. Why wouldn't you want a used camera? When I
was a starving college student I bought used camera gear. What a minute, 20
years later I STILL buy used camera gear! With a little shopping you can buy
a used M4-2 or M4-P for less than $750. A used 35mm f 2.0 can be had for
$600. That's $1,350 which is a chunk of change for anyone -- college student
or not -- but it's still less than a new M6 body only. I'm not here to tell
you what you should do but from where I sit that option makes a whole lot of
sense. Even if you had to send the camera off for a complete CLA -- unlikely
if you chose carefully -- that only adds about $250 to the cost. A bright
young college student ought to be able to do that math and see that you're
still ahead . . . Buying Leicas new is best reserved for the well healed and
mathematically challenged . . .

Bob (learned how to add long before college) McEowen