Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V17 #112
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 11:35:24 +0100

"Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com> wrote:

>As  to your second question... Look at a projector lens, is doesn't
require a focusing mount, a diaphragm or any of the real fine
machining a
camera or enlarger lens does.  This is enough to seriously reduce
production
costs. Plus, if you talk to a lens designer, they can give a lot more
reasons why projector lenses are easier to make than camera lenses.

I'd love to hear a lens designer explain what those "lot more reasons"
allegedly are. Lens design is a matter of controlling rays of light,
and the processes of dispersion and refraction work exactly the same
way irrespective of whether the light is proceeding from the outside
world and onto the film, or from the film to the outside world. So
unless there is something I'm not grasping, a good projector lens
should make a good camera lens and vice versa. However, the 125mm f2.5
Hektor for the Visoflex (which is optically identical to its projector
lens counterpart) has a degree of softness.

It's always puzzled me that while we take the picture with (for
example) a double-Gauss configuration lens such as a 50mm Summicron
whose individual elements are accurately set up in a metal mounting,
we often trust the job of projecting the result to a relatively simple
(triplet?) lens whose elements are in a plastic mount. (Do you
remember the bit during the factory tour last year when our guide
explained why plastic was not good enough to accurately hold the
elements of a Leica lens?)

I suspect that there is an element of "good enough" in projector lens
design. The typical design has an aperture of around f2.5 and a focal
length of 85mm. Now when Zeiss designed their 85mm f2 lens for the
Contax during the 1930s, they decided to adopt the classic Sonnar
layout, while the simpler triplet construction was reserved for the f4
Triotar of the same focal length - a lens which as been described as a
"rather average item". By 1990 four glasses could make up a top-class
90mm f2.8 lens, but what has probably happened in the world of
projection lens design is that the lower-performance classic triplet
configurations have become seen as adequate for the ephemeral task of
projecting an image.

And some of the resulting lenses are pretty poor. The Hektor lens on
my relatively-new P150 is comfortably outperformed by the Elmaron of a
1970s Pradolux which I bought very cheaply at this year's Leica
Historica swap meet in Germany. If I ever find a Colorplan which will
fit the Pradolux, I'll be buying it.

Regards,

Doug Richardson