Subject: Re: [Leica] Wedding film b/w
From: Ebert Steele <k5cad@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 19:41:13 -0500

Arthur Leyenberger wrote:

> I'll be going to a wedding of our friend's daughter
> next month and want to shoot b/w candids (maybe a few
> posed) shots for her as a gift. I doubt if anyone else
> will be shooting b/w, so I think it might be special.
> AND I promise to stay the hell out of the way of the
> wedding photographer (I've been following that thread
> these last few weeks).
>
> So, what film should I use. I don't do my own
> developing and will take it to camera shop for pro
> developing, if needed. I think I want at least 400 if
> not 800.
> So which would work best for my situation Kodak (TMAX
> 3200, TMAX 400, TRI-X 400) or Ilford (HP5, 400 Delta,
> Delta 3200) or something else. And should I push and
> if so, what push speed.

Arthur,

Similar circumstances here. My granddaughter will be married in
July. I hired the photog with the stipulation that I will shoot
available light and stay out of the way.

I have settled on Ilford XP2 Super IE 400 processed C41. I tried
Kodak Select IE 400 and find the XP2 more pleasing. It delivers
nice skin tones with little grain and lots of glow. So far I have
shot test exposures with a late version 50mm Summicron and a 90mm
Tele-Elarit.  I am looking for a really clean Summarit which I
believe will enhance the 50mm images.

When I was younger, I used a Summarit with Tri-X. Tonality was
supurb even with grain.

If you like really thin negs, you could get another stop out of
the XP2. I am going to make up 5X7 presentation boxes. At 5x7 I
can handhold 1/15 and 1/30 sec and not miss many. I don't find
subject movement that objectionable in low light. Therefore, I
have settled on IE 400.

Let me know what you decide.

Steele