Subject: Re: [Leica] 40mm and 3.5cm Viewfinder?
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 14:35:54 +0100

John Collier wrote:

> With a 50mm lens at closest focus the inside of the framelines corresponds
> to the area of a standard slide mount (23 x 35 or 93% of the film area). At
> 2 meters use the outside of the framelines and at infinity use an area about
> the thickness of three framelines more. At infinity the coverage inside the
> framelines is probably down to about 75% or so.
>
> John Collier
>
> > From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
> >
> > at the closest focusing
> > distance the field is smaller relitive to the film plane than at infinity, so
> > the frame line can only be accurate at one distance, unless it is a zoom
> > finder.
That is what I have been trying feebly to say, but I couldn't remember the
number of frame line thicknesses for infinity.
So perhaps the 40 mm will be more accurately framed by the 35 frame line at
infinity than the 35 mm lens, and using the 35 mm frame line or accessory
finder should not be a problem at all, remembering to leave a little space at
very close focusing distances.
John Shick