Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] Barnack IIIF question.
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 09:07:59 -0700

in re flare...
I have a 1951 era Elmar, coated and I have found that it is not too prone to
flare, but then I use a VALOO shade on it constantly- partly to shade the
front element that is hangin WAY out there in front, and because it allows
me to change the aperture more easily!
For the majority of my shots, and I use a lot of HP5, Delta 400, and Tri-X
not worrying about grain, I find that it is a very good performer, and will
match images taken with much newer glass when printed to 8x10.
I think you will find that the coated version will be a bit more resistant
to flare, but the Elmar is NOT one to point to far up to the sun, in any
case. I cannot be beat, however, for compactness, and the results are very
nice. Enjoy!
Dan