Subject: [Leica] Barnack IIIF question.
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 11:15:23 -0400

Hi all,

I wonder if a luglurker can ask a quick question? I have seen a IIIF
black dial for sale in an as-is condition for $500 and I'm wondering if
this is a good price. The serial number checks out as being 1951 and the
50mm f3.5 Elmar appears to be clean and coated but I haven't been able
to verify the year of production. The serial number is 941XXX, and maybe
someone could identify it from that. It also has a rather nice
detachable hood and lens cap. The body itself seems quite clean but it
is missing the black trim which goes around the viewfinder eyepieces and
the shutter curtains are cracked and dried up looking, although the
shutter seems to run smoothly.

This isn't something I need, but I had a IIIa before I got my M4P and
the 3.5 Elmar has a quality which even the Summicron doesn't match and
the idea of a coated one with hood is attractive - as is a really small
and pocketable camera in general. But price is a consideration.

So my questions are: Is this a reasonable price, and how much would the
repair likely cost me?

Thanks!

Simon Stevens

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Barnack IIIF question.)