Subject: Re: [Leica] street photography
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 20:28:31 EDT

In a message dated 5/19/00 4:55:54 PM, deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk writes:

<< It's simply a question of what is possible in one mode or another. I'm sure
you in your mode produce pictures I am incapable of... I'd lay bets it works
the other way round too. My mode, at its best, works on instantaneously
seeing something which hits you in the guts emotionally, and trying to
capture that *impossibly* fleeting moment. It would be pointless for me to
try to achieve that by walking up to people and talking to them. The moment
is there for a fraction of a second and then it's gone. I could get other
moments by talking to people... but they're not the moment's I'm
*interested* in for the purposes of HT. >>

First of all, as far as I'm concerned this conversation is not about me and
you. It's about a genre in general and more specifically, for me anyway,
about an approach to photographing other human beings. I have no interest in
proving anybody wrong or anything else. I find it an interesting topic and I
hope others can bear through it -- or will at least tell me to shut up.

But for your comments . . . truth be told, every newspaper photographer does
something similar to what you do -- though usually with longer lenses --
Between stand alone feature photos and face in the crowd stuff from events
and the like photojournalists are always shooting pictures of people
unawares. I can't tell you how many "street photos" I've made in my career to
fill a morning feature photo hole. We called it "cruising for enterprise" or
"wild art." The difference is that we don't generally go hunting on street
corners. Also we don't make any bones about it. We just do it -- with bag
over our shoulder and cameras in plain sight. We shoot until we're discovered
and then exchange glances and go on shooting or, if necessary, go explain
what we're doing and THEN go back to shooting. In almost every case we make
contact at some point to get an I.D. It happens every day on the job --
absolutely routine. As for fleeting moments, yes, sometimes you shoot first
and ask questions later. Other times you have to watch for the moment (or
something like it) to occur again. There are exceptions but usually at some
point the subject knows you're there. It's up to you to make them comfortable
enough to ignore you. I would think that would be pretty hard to do if you
just "got caught."

Like I said in a previous message, it doesn't matter to me what anybody does
or what kind of photos they like to take. I'm sorry if I come across like I'm
opposed to the genre because I'm not. It's just that no one has convinced me
that A LOT (but certainly  not all) of so-called "street photographers" chose
that method because of a reluctance to approach people so they do try to
"steal" images -- no the subject doesn't own them but the photographer IS
sneaking around. So, with all that said I would be curious about two things:

1.) Would most street photographers be comfortable showing their photos to
subjects and explaining to them why they took them, what they like about them
and what the photos say about the human condition? If so, great. I'm just
asking . . .

2.) Do street photographers ever consider approaching someone they find
interesting and simply asking, "can I follow you around for a few minutes and
shoot some photos?" I bet they'd be amazed at the photos they could get this
way . . .

Bob (street photography by any other name) McEowen

Replies: Reply from JGong <jgong@cisco.com> ([Leica] Re: Yep, That's Me.)