Subject: Re: Europe Travel (was Re: [Leica] London and Paris Trip- Airport Security)
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 12:50:43 -0700

I just came back from Europe.  I had prepared before I left a list of all
items and serial numbers, and faxed a copy to my insurance agent.  I had my
secretary notarize my declaration that I owned it all before I left the U.S.

While on a layover in Philadelphia, I read a US Customs pamphlet, which
states that any foreign made items are subject to duty upon return to the US
unless you have obtained a Customs declaration form before you leave.  I ran
down to the Customs office in the airport, and filled out the form, attached
my list saying only "See attached," and customs stamped the form and each
page of my document.

On return, customs waived me through without question, so nothing was
needed, but with 5 figures worth of Leica, why take the chance of having to
pay 10% duty?  Of course, you can later submit proofs of purchase in the US,
but you would have your gear seized until you either paid duty or proved
prior ownership.

Tom Schofield