Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W in high contrast situations
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 19:41:09 -0600

Takeshi Hashimoto wrote:

> --
>
> On Tue, 16 May 2000 22:06:28   Bernard wrote:
> >Takeshi Hashimoto wrote:
> >
> >> Not to throw water on the previous respondent, I'd suggest staying away from TMY except in studio sitations.
> >
> >I absolutely *love* TMY for streetshooting. For the studio there is a large variety of slower films available. I process my TMY in xtol, these days. Perhaps you don't have a lightmeter (or AE) in your camera that you don't like TMY?

> It's too contrast in the highlights.If you'regoing to use it at 100 anyway, why not use FP4?

Contrast with TMY is not a problem for me; shoot it at 400 and process
it in Xtol per Kodak's recommendations and contrast is
textbook-perfect--it should NOT come out looking harsh! If anything, it
can be a little on the overly-smooth side if you're not careful. Shot at
100, contrast is really reduced to the point that I'd recommend it only
for pretty extreme situations. Now processing it in HC110 is another
matter entirely, but when the light's flat, this can be lots of fun too.
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado