Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: IQ ramblings
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 12:49:16 -0700

ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> I knew a copy editor once who was a member of Mensa. He told me he joined to
> meet women. He also said his attempt ended in failure. Arthur

Confusing Mensa with Menses!

mT-2. Important derivatives are: meal2, piecemeal, measure, dimension, immense,
meter1, diameter, geometry, moon, Monday, month, menopause, menstruate, semester.
mT-2. To measure. Contracted from *meơ-.
I. Basic form mT-.
1. Suffixed form *mT-lo-. MEAL2; PIECEMEAL, from Old English mLl, “measure,
mark, appointed time, time for eating, meal,” from Germanic *mTlaz.
2. Suffixed form *mT-ti-. a. MEASURE, (MENSURAL); (COMMENSURATE), DIMENSION,
IMMENSE, from Latin mTthrh, to measure; b. METIS, from Greek mTtis, wisdom, skill.
3. METER1, METER2, (METER3), -METER, METRICAL, -METRY; DIAMETER, GEOMETRY,
ISOMETRIC, METROLOGY, METRONOME, SYMMETRY, from Greek metron, measure, rule,
length, proportion, poetic meter, possibly from mT-2 (but this is referred by
some to med-).

(from American Heritage Dictionary CD)

Mark Rabiner